The life of the party, the fun-guy…yes, Manny Mushroom is a fungus. You know this, and it should not put you off eating him because, firstly, mushrooms are delicious and flavoursome, and secondly they are a great source of nutrients. Mushrooms are especially great for our wonderful vegetarians as a protein source!
- Low in Calories and Carbohydrates!
- High in Vitamin D (Perfect when you are lacking the sun in Winter)
- Great source of Iron
- Boost your Immune System with loads of antioxidants – fighting free radical damage
- Full of B Vitamins, mushrooms boost your metabolism, give you energy support and boost your brain function
- A high level of Selenium which is beneficial to your bladder health and decreases inflammation
- Fibre, Vitamin C and Potassium are great for heart health by decreasing the risk of high blood pressure.
Ways to Enjoy Manny Mushroom:
-Pasta of course! A creamy delicious mushroom pasta
-Mushroom sauce using mushrooms and cream for those juicy steaks
-Toss it into your roast veggies. This is great when hiding the veggies that your kids usually push off the plate.
-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms – stuff them with spinach and top with cheese
-Use Portobello mushrooms as the buns for your burger OR use the mushroom as your patty!
-Green Bean, Spinach and Mushroom Casserole (Add some chicken and the kids will love this!)
-Pop them onto skewer sticks for Veg Kebabs on the braai
-Mushroom Soup with Coconut Milk
-Cheesy Mushroom Toasted Panini – mouthwatering
Tip for Cleaning Mushrooms:
Mushrooms are porous and therefore absorb liquid and other flavours. Don’t rinse them in water as they can get water logged, rather wipe them down with a damp cloth or paper towel. Keep them dry in the fridge in a paper bag. Remember that they have a short shelf life, so it’s best to eat them when you buy them.
More delicate mushrooms need to be cleaned with more care.
Time to get your Mushrooms and start cooking up a storm with the motivation from the #FSGoodnessGang!