Dynamite comes in small packages. Bongi might be small, but don’t be fooled by his looks. Blueberries are a super food that fight diseases like you won’t believe – and they’re really tasty too. Bongi Blueberry comes from George when in season locally but historically they originate from North America. Bongi Blueberry gets his beautiful deep blue colour because he contains a flavonoid known as anthocyanins. (Also found in cranberries, red cabbage and eggplant)
Blueberries are great for your heart healthy and help ward off heart diseases. Due to their rich fibre content, high in potassium, folate, Vitamin C, B6, and phytonutrient content.
Health Benefits of Bongi Blueberry:
- Super high in antioxidants -Whole body anti oxidant support meaning that it’s antioxidants support the entire body, not just one system.
- Good source of Vitamin K, Iron & magnesium – for maintaining bone structure and strength
- Lower your blood pressure due to potassium, calcium and magnesium
- High fibre content and Low-GI helps with managing diabetes and a healthy digestion
How to Store Blueberries:
Before storing remove any crushed or mouldy berries to prevent the rest from spoiling. Don’t wash berries until right before eating as washing will remove the bloom that protects the berries’ skins from degradation. Store ripe blueberries in a covered container in the refrigerator where they will keep for up to 3 days. If kept out at room temperature for more than a day, the berries may spoil.
Recipe Ideas with Blueberries:
- Low Carb Pancakes -> The Food Lover’s Market Goodness Gang have a delicious recipe. Find it here -> https://goo.gl/ShtdWp
- Add some blueberries to yours or the kids’ Bran Flakes! -> Use blueberries as fresh toppings on oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, yoghurt or cereal for an extra burst of flavor in your breakfast
- Whip up a quick and easy smoothie using frozen berries, milk and yoghurt
- Mix fresh or dried blueberries into a spinach salad with walnuts and feta cheese
- Fold them into muffins and sweet breads or blend them in a food processor with a little water and use as a fresh syrup to top desserts or breakfast foods.
- Blueberries with Yoghurt and Chocolate
- Top your mousse or dessert with some beautiful blueberries. Enjoy them in some custard.